Saturday, June 4, 2011

Muffaletta from Jason's Deli

When I think about a submarine sandwich I usually think about a hoagy roll filled with cold cuts, cheese, and a "run" through the garden: lettuce, tomato, onions, etc.  When I went to Jason's Deli I was introduced to a new name in sub sandwiches, the Muffaletta.

I'm no kid, and I've been around the block a time or two, but up until a couple of years ago I had never heard of, much less tasted, a Muffaletta. Jason's Deli is the only place I know of that serves them, and since an earlier posting I have fallen in love with them!


Just like any sandwich the Muffaletta has no specific recipe. Even the spelling of the name is not etched in stone. In addition to the Jason's Deli spelling I have seen Muffeletta and Muffuletta. The main stay of the sandwich is the bread. A large flattened loaf approxiamately 9" in diameter with a consistency and taste similar to foccacia bread. The "roll" is cut in half horizontally forming two discs, a top and bottom, like an oversized hamburger bun.

The key ingredient is olive saladwhich is then spread liberally on the inside of both the top and bottom halves. The bottom is stacked with a combination of sliced deli meats, and cheese. Jason's serves one with ham, hard salami, and provolone. They also have a turkey breast with provolone and a "Veggaletta," which comes with grilled portabello mushrooms, organic spinach, tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, red onions and provolone.


picture courtesy of Jason's Deli

Once assembled the sandwich is cut into 4 quarters. Jason's offers the sandwich as a quarter, a half, or a whole and it is served with chips. Last time I got a whole and took half home to eat on another day.

Jason's deli introduced this fine sandwich to me but I find that it is a little dry because the bread overpowers the quantities of ham and salami. For an additional cost I have had them add extra ham to equalize the taste a little better and with a few spurts of mustard it is quite delicious.

If you know of another place that serves this New Orleans classic please post a comment.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...